Stars and Black Holes: Sabres @ Red Wings: 10-2-13
Hooray, they’re bad! They got out-shot 34-20 and that’s with the Red Wings notching 8 more PIM and two lengthy 5 on 3 power plays. Oy. Also the top line of Vanek, Hodgson, and Stafford was on the ice for both goals against while Myers was on the ice for one of them so consider those issues not fixed, at least for now.
My narrative for the season is that the team will probably be super fun to watch sometimes and horifically awful others due to the mix of youth and talent. Our media seems to want to run with “blame the Euros” so I feel like I’m coming out ahead.
- Brian Flynn – Girgensons got the goal, but the setup was all Flynn.
- Zemgus Girgensons – The “third” line played pretty well notching 3 of the 10 shots taken by forwards.
- Christian Ehrhoff – Still fantastic.
The Robert Wade Niedermayer Memorial Black Holes:
- Cody Hodgson – I know Drew Stafford was the one getting left in the dust by Datsyuk on the second goal, but covering that is really the center’s job.
- Drew Stafford – No shots on goal? Attaway to start on the top line.
- Tyler Myers – I guess you blame him for being a little weak on the first goal, but what are you really supposed to do there?
- Tyler Ennis – That line is not good right now.