Vulgar Opinions: Sabres @ Capitals (1-27-13) Stars and Black Holes
I used to do this piece over on my personal blog before I shut it down, and then again on Twitter, but that didn’t leave much room for discussion. So I’m bringing it here, the Criminally Vulgar Stars and Black Holes of the game! This year, I’m adding new wrinkles, the Unsung Hero, and the Unseen Goat. As always, first, second and third stars get players a +3, +2, and +1 respectively, and the black holes do the opposite. Unsung Hero and Unseen Goat will be +/- 1.
- Marcus Foligno – Looks like Marcus is finally getting his legs back. Great play all around, a goal, and 6 hits.
- Tyler Ennis – I wonder how much of Ennis’s early struggles were having slow linemates that couldn’t get open. As Foligno looked great, so did he.
- Andrej Sekera – Another stud-like game and a great point shot on the Foligno goal.
Steve Ott – Notched an assist on the Ennis goal and led the forwards in icetime with 21:09.
- Nathan Gerbe – Quick, how do you neuter the top line?
- Cody Hodgson – You can bemoan the loss of Vanek all you want, but Hodgson still had Pominville to his right. It’s not like he was hung out to dry.
- Jochen Hecht – Not sure what he was doing on the Ovechkin goal. Pretty sure that was his sole purpose for being out there
- Tyler Myers – Slowly moving out of the doghouse. He did more positive things this game, but that isn’t enough.
I’ll wait until we’re a few games in before I start posting a leaderboard. Enjoy.