Vulgar Opinions: Hurricanes @ Sabres (1-25-13) Stars and Black Holes
I used to do this piece over on my personal blog before I shut it down, and then again on Twitter, but that didn’t leave much room for discussion. So I’m bringing it here, the Criminally Vulgar Stars and Black Holes of the game! This year, I’m adding new wrinkles, the Unsung Hero, and the Unseen Goat. As always, first, second and third stars get players a +3, +2, and +1 respectively, and the black holes do the opposite. Unsung Hero and Unseen Goat will be +/- 1.
- Thomas Vanek – Will someone else please contribute to the offense? A goal, and 6 shots.
- Ryan Miller – Miller is the reason I’m feeling pretty good about the Sabres, regardless of how well Enroth plays. If Jhonas can break even, I think they’ll be in good shape.
- Andrej Sekera – While Myers has faltered, Sekera has been solid this season. He led the Sabres in icetime with 22:18 and had 3 SOG.
Jochen Hecht – Got handled at the dot, but contributed 3:40 of short handed icetime, most on the team by almost 30 seconds.
- Tyler Ennis, Drew Stafford, Marcus Foligno – Where are you?
- Tyler Ennis – This might as well be the rotating faceoff item. 2-10 on the night. Him and Hodgson can’t keep playing musical faceoff suck. They don’t have to be great, but 4-8, 5-7, come on.
I’ll wait until we’re a few games in before I start posting a leaderboard. Enjoy.