Vulgar Opinions: Sabres @ Maple Leafs (1-21-13) Stars and Black Holes
I used to do this piece over on my personal blog before I shut it down, and then again on Twitter, but that didn’t leave much room for discussion. So I’m bringing it here, the Criminally Vulgar Stars and Black Holes of the game! This year, I’m adding new wrinkles, the Unsung Hero, and the Unseen Goat. As always, first, second and third stars get players a +3, +2, and +1 respectively, and the black holes do the opposite. Unsung Hero and Unseen Goat will be +/- 1.
- Jason Pominville – One goal, one assist, and 4:27 of shorthanded icetime in a game marred by penalties. What more can you ask?
- Ryan Miller – Solid all night long.
- Thomas Vanek – A great play leading to Pominville’s goal, a dumb penalty. Win some, lose some.
Robyn Regehr – Led the team with 4:49 of shorthanded icetime.
- Tyler Myers – Was probably at fault for the Leafs’ goal. Lost out on icetime to Ehrhoff, Leopold, and Sekera. Not a good start to the season.
- Patrick Kaleta – I give him credit for coming to Miller’s aid, but most of the 16 PIM were unnecessary.
- Marcus Foligno – I thought that line started to come on late, but Foligno was again largely invisible as a point producer. It may not be a bad idea to try pairing him with Grigorenko.
- Tyler Ennis and Cody Hodgson – A combined 7-29 on faceoffs. Ugly.
I’ll wait until we’re a few games in before I start posting a leaderboard. Enjoy.