Recap! Sabres 2-1 Senators
The Sabres won their season opener on the road against their nemesis, the Ottawa Senators. No really. Seriously. Thoughts of the game after the jump.
- When it mattered, the power play came through and produced the game winning goal. Woah.
- Morrisonn took one game to show why he’s playing with Tyler Myers.
- Speaking of Myers, his speed and strength are way up from last season and he dished out lots of hits.
- Vanek looked beast, regardless of not registering a point.
- Even if Roy and Stafford aren’t natural linemates for Ennis, they look good together.
- Roy borrowed the Atlas moniker from Vanek for a night. What a goal to open up the scoring.
- Niedermayer may give the Sabres another face-off man, going 75% (6/8) at the dot.
- The penalty kill is back in mid-season form.
- Jordan Leopold got picked by Chris Neil. One mistake in an otherwise solid debut as a Sabre.
- While Pominville was pesky and generated, he didn’t generate enough for my taste.
- The Sabres just couldn’t finish tonight, damn.
- For some reason, Clouston decided to start Pascal Leclaire instead of Brian Elliot. Some of you may not know this, but Elliott may or may not be undefeated against the Sabres.
10/9 Rangers at Sabres, 7PM EST, MSG (HD) + WGR550