Stars and Black Holes: Senators @ Sabres: 10-4-13
Hoo boy. I saw a lot of people blaming Myers and Miller for the lone goal the Sabres surrendered tonight in their shot-fest with the Ottawa Senators. About that. Let’s excuse Miller for a couple reasons. One, the goaltender is not the problem when you surrender over 40 shots and don’t score yourselves. Two, I don’t know what else you can expect him to do in an effort to get all the way across the goal to defend against a good shooter in Karlsson.
I think the guys you really have to blame are Mike Weber and Cody Hodgson, and here’s why. Yes, Myers backs off MacArthur as he enters the zone, giving him a ton of room, but as he does so he puts him in position to cover Turris who comes streaking through the slot followed by Cody Hodgson. Unfortunately Hodgson doesn’t let Turris go once Myers has him covered and Mike Weber kind of stands at the other side of the net doing nothing. With Ennis coming down to pick up MacArthur, Vanek is left to defend both Karlsson and Methot all by himself. Or, this:
- Ryan Miller
- Zemgus Girgensons and Brian Flynn – Like an angry Latvian and his teddy bear. Or something.
- Thomas Vanek - Nine shots on goal, a force all night, just couldn’t score.
- Christian Ehrhoff - 27 minutes.
The Robert Wade Niedermayer Memorial Black Holes:
- Cody Hodgson – Just does not seem to know how to play in his own end.
- Mike Weber - Lifeless on the goal.
- Tyler Ennis - I don’t know what to make of Ennis. I know he has talent, but it sure doesn’t translate into results.
- Drew Stafford - Demoted from the top line, had two shots on goal on a night when everyone was getting shots on goal. Just ugly.