Preseason Post-Game Report, Sabres 9 – 3 Flyers
Of course the score should look like that – it was the Sabres’ final roster (minus Rivet and Vanek) vs the Flyers’ “modified” team. But there was still some good to take away from the game.
1. Drew Stafford looks beastly, with 2g+7a in the preseason. I’m hoping he’s come down with a bad case of contractyearitis.
2. Ennis continues to look good and productive no matter the line he’s on, even though he only played in three preseason games.
3. Nathan Gerbe has 3 goals in 6 games and has been just as good as he was in college – he’s scored goals, played pesky, complimented both scoring and grinding lines, and improves the PP. It’s about time he found his niche. Problem is, the numbers game can still result in him getting demoted.
4. Derek Roy is as on fire as Stafford. He’s got ten points, tied for the league lead in preseason scoring with Phil Kessel. Strong bounce-back years from Roy and Stafford can do absolute wonders for the Sabres.
5. How smooth do Shaone Morrisonn and Tyler Myers look together? They showed instant chemistry this preseason, which is good for an improving Myers and resurgent Morrisonn.
There’s also some bad to take from this game:
1. The defense looks a bit shoddy unless Morrisonn-Myers is on the ice. Hopefully Rivet’s throat can heal quickly so that he’ll return in time to stabilize the defense.
2. Thomas Vanek…injury prone? It seems he’s going down that path, which is sad given the immense talent and game-breaking ability he possesses.
In five days, the Sabres open the regular season in Kanata against the Senators at Scotiabank Place. The confidence boost they created for themselves tonight ought to help them come out firing against Ottawa and start the season 1-0-0.